"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4

The Gilland Family of 6!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Tears...Sad Tears

While singing with my kids the other day I shed some “happy tears.”  Mary Mac couldn’t sing the song because she didn’t know the words.  As I was trying to feed her the words to the chorus of Hillsongs “The Stand” I started crying.  Mary Mac said, “Mommy, are you crying?”  “Yes,” I replied.  “But they are happy tears.  Mommy just loves Jesus so much and is so overwhelmed by His love for me.”  She then replied, “Mommy…I love Jesus too!  But I don’t cry about it!”  It was one of the funniest things she has ever said.  Only a few minutes later I received a text informing me of the sudden death of one of my dear friend’s brother.  Tears immediately began to fall, this time sad tears.  Although, he had trusted Jesus with his life and he had met his Savior face to face, my heart still broke for my friend and her family.  I’m so thankful for the verse in Revelation that says, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  Revelation 21:4
Friday night Doug and I were blessed to get to hear David Platt, the author of Radical, speak at our church’s Missions Conference.  Wow!!!!  It was powerful and amazing, yet he was so humble and tender, full of the Holy Spirit.  He obviously realizes the holy anointing upon him right now.   His message was really the same as the book.  It was an encouraging, challenging and convicting message delivered by David, but totally the words of Jesus.  He talked about the 4.5 billion people in the world that do not know the good news of Jesus and how they are currently on a path to hell for eternity.  That place will be the exact opposite of the beautiful place described in the above verse from Revelation.  Now that is a reason to cry, to weep for the lost people of our world.  But it should push us to do more than just cry.  Sunday morning during worship I was so overwhelmed by emotion.  I want to do so much more than I am doing now to further the Kingdom of God.  I want to make myself and my family totally available to the work of the Lord.  However that may be and whatever it might look like.  I want to be radically obedient to my amazing God!
I love how Platt describes basic biblical Christianity in his book.
“The message of biblical Christianity is not “God loves me, period,” as if we were the object of our own faith.  The message of biblical Christianity is “God loves me so that I might make him-his ways, his salvation, his glory and his greatness-known among all nations.””
It’s not all about me…it’s all about Him!  I’m praying and asking God to open my eyes to ways I can have maximum Kingdom impact as I live my life as a wife, mom and friend in Marietta, Georgia.   I’m also praying that whatever God shows me and asks me to do I will trust Him and obey Him. 

So…I cry a lot, for lots of reasons.   Mostly, because of my love for Jesus and His love for me which drives me to look for ways to love others and share the Gospel with those who have not heard the amazing news of Jesus!  In fact I’ve already cried today…Happy Tears!  How about you?  
Joyfully,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment